Friday, May 16, 2008

More Practicing

Last week I tried to coordinate a session to record a few of my jazz tunes that have been sitting around forever. The session ended up not happening- the people I called couldn't find common time, at least not yet- but in the five days before I found out it wasn't going to happen, I started practicing a lot- first by being more consistent about playing at the community college in the morning before work, and then for the last two days, after work as well, usually about 40 minutes each. I guess when I imagined recording myself, I immediately heard things I wanted to change in my playing- plus I had to learn all these tunes I had written so long ago. Anyway, it's been a heavy schedule sometimes, and if I want to keep it going I'll probably have to lessen my other commitments- but it's felt really good too. The disheartening feeling of having to relearn the horn every time I pick it up is finally disappearing. My a.m. routine is the Schlossberg daily drills book, sight-reading, and etudes for technique, and my p.m. routine is Caruso excercises, learning jazz tunes, and working on improvising.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online