Saturday, March 29, 2008

ASCAP Film Scoring Workshop

Last night I mailed in my application to the 2008 ASCAP Film and Television Scoring Workshop with Richard Bellis. It sounds like a serious film scoring camp- 3 or 4 weeks in LA, 40 hours a week, being coached by great filmmakers, sound editors, composers, and orchestrators, getting your work recorded by a live orchestra of pros- all paid for by ASCAP. They're very clear that they don't want hobbyists- only people who are pursuing film scoring as a profession. Anyway, it would be really exciting and I have my fingers crossed.

I actually just read Bellis' new book, The Emerging Film Composer. It's very good, and maybe the only book on film composing I've ever read with a sense of humor.

I worked on the application every night this week, updating my resume, writing a nice cover letter, putting together a CD of orchestral excerpts (all stuff you've seen here before), etc. I have no idea how many composers apply each year, or how experienced they tend to be, so it's hard to know what my chances are- but even just putting together the application was fun and inspirational. Anyway, wish me luck!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online