Sunday, March 30, 2008

Trip to L.A.


I forgot to mention- last weekend I visited my good friend Syd and his partner Jon in L.A. It was pretty awesome- we walked on the beach,
saw the LA Phil play Shostakovich 7 in the new Frank Gehry concert hall,


and watched Pump up the Volume.



What more could I possibly ask for?

Well, Syd got back in touch with a professional composer he had met years ago (friends of friends etc.) named Andy Belling, who invited us over to visit. Andy showed us his home studio, and we talked for a long time. He answered all of my questions about the business and was very supportive, encouraging me to build up a portfolio by scoring independent and student work here in Phoenix. He also played us some excerpts from his new Broadway musical, Merry-Go-Round, which he orchestrated and co-wrote and will be directing as well, and which opens in New York in less than a year.

It was my first personal contact with a working film composer and it was pretty exciting. I really appreciate him making time to hang out with us. Thanks Andy!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online