Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sonya Kitchell

My old friend and Inner Orchestra buddy Emiliano Garcia used to teach jazz to a young singer named Sonya Kitchell. She came a few times to a jam session he used to host in Northampton, and they let her in with her mom even though she was underage. I think we (the I.O. horns) may have played with Sonya's band at one of her first club dates- I remember rehearsing for it, anyway.

Fast forward a few years. Sonya is now signed to Velour, touring the world, and quickly becoming a famous singer/songwriter. Last year, your neighborhood Starbucks sold two CD's at the counter- the Will.i.am-produced Sergio Mendes album, and Sonya's first full-length. I love her music, and I'm really excited for her.

Herbie Hancock's new album River is all Joni Mitchell songs- with vocals. For the album, he got a bunch of superstars to do one song each- Tina Turner, Norah Jones, Corinn Bailey Rae, Leonard Cohen, one track by Joni herself- but Herbie picked Sonya to be the featured singer with his band for his album-release tour. This is maybe the biggest possible compliment in the entire present-day musical universe.

They did a night in Phoenix, but I had a Friday night gig myself, and when I added my lost gig pay to the price of a ticket, I simply couldn't afford to go, and I felt like I don't know Sonya well enough anymore to ask for comp tickets. I was really bummed. Money is a wonderful thing, and needing money is a terrible thing. Anyway, if you see this, Sonya, I'm sorry I missed your show, and congratulations!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online